Thursday, August 1, 2013

Three for Thursday: Positive, Patient, Persistent

Last year, I took a leap of faith and accepted a temporary teaching position at a school that I knew very little about. I was both excited and anxious about all of the possibilities that this new opportunity would hold. Even more than that, I was terrified that another opportunity wouldn't come along. It was getting later in the summer and other schools I had been interested in didn't have any available positions. So all of my fear, anxiety, and excitement as a new graduate propelled me on a new adventure into the unknown. Unfortunately, that adventure wasn't as wonderful an experience as I had hoped. I’m not saying that it was a mistake… quite the opposite, actually. I became much stronger as a teacher and as a person. Plus, I was able to learn from my first experience job hunting and discovered exactly what I needed to do to get to where I wanted to be. I had to be positive, patient, and persistent.

I had to walk away from my last experience proud of what I had accomplished, despite many obstacles that were thrown my way and look forward positively. I made up my mind that I wouldn't fixate on finding a new job. Instead, I sent out resumes early in the summer to schools I had researched and felt would be a good fit for me, and then I left it up to God. I truly enjoyed my summer and was optimistic that everything would work out the way that it was meant to. I had to put my anxiety aside and remind myself constantly that I had done all that I could and now it was time to be patient. Patience isn't always my strong suit, but I reminded myself each day that I was one day closer to my goal. Finally, I got a window of opportunity and that’s when my persistence kicked into high gear. I called and emailed relentlessly until I was offered an interview. So I put on my favorite purple dress and my nude heals, curled my hair, and calmed my nerves. Once again I had to be positive, optimistic that it would go well… patient, carefully listen to questions and answer them thoughtfully without rushing… and persistent, make it clear that I wanted the job and that I was the best person for the job. Those three P’s didn't let me down all summer, and they sure didn't let me down during the moment of truth. I got the job! And at my dream school, no less.


I’m not saying that being positive, patient, and persistent was easy or totally within my comfort zone. What I’m saying is that  it was SO WORTH IT. Beyond this, I think that the 3 P’s could be used when going after any goal in life. So in honor of our Three for Thursday tradition, here are three quotes to encourage you when you are fighting your own insecurities in pursuit of your dreams.







Now I’m curious… What goals and dreams are you working toward? What quotes do you find encouraging? I’d love to hear all about them in the comment section below!

2 comments:

  1. Amy, this is just what I needed to hear. I have been looking for a nursing job for about a year now. I have been struggling with all three P's. It is so hard to be positive when I've gone on about 60 interviews and keep hearing no. And after a particularly discouraging interview I gave up. But I am putting my trust in God that He has a plan for me. Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep the three P's in my mind. ---Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Jenny! I'll be sending happy thoughts your way... I'm sure that the right door for you will open up and one day you will end up exactly where you are meant to be. And wherever you are, or whatever you're doing, I hope you're happy. Keep me posted!

      Delete