Thursday, August 22, 2013

Three for Thursday: Back to School Tips

It's that time of year again!  Kids are heading back to school, college kids are moving into dorms, and the smell of fresh school supplies is everywhere.  After enjoying summer break, it is often hard to get back into the swing of things.


This week, I had the privilege of helping my younger sister, Darby, move into her first dorm room at USF.  I am so excited for her as she starts her first year of living on campus as a full-time college student.  That is why this week, I am dedicating this Three for Thursday segment to my little sis (you are awesome already, D, but I hope that you will find these tips useful in starting classes next week).  While this post is dedicated to my sister, I feel that this post will apply to anyone going back to school (high school or college) or even just anyone who needs some tips for reorganizing their time.

Tip #1: Make a schedule

My nifty planner.  A must have for staying organized.
Schedule time for everything you need to do: studying, exercising, relaxing, etc. I have found that when I have a set schedule, it is easier to stick with it.  Yes, you need to study hard and go to all of your classes, but that doesn't mean you can't have some fun every now and then.  Schedule it in so that you won't skip your "me time" and it won't run over time you need to be spend working.

Tip 2:  Make good habits

A few awesome cookbooks I borrowed
from my local library.
Eat healthy.  Exercise.  Drink enough water.  Get enough sleep.  All of these things are essential to getting through school alive.  It's a proven fact: junk food makes you feel crappy.  Eat foods that aren't processed.  Stock up on fruits and veggies as snacks.  Things like apples and bananas are easy to stick in your backpack to eat later.  Pack healthy lunches rather than buying them at school.  Exercise is important too.  When you exercise, your body is filled with these amazing things called Endorphins (which are basically feel good hormones that your brain releases).  Not to mention, exercise helps you keep in shape.  Remember Freshman, there is a reason why the term "Freshman 15" was created.   As tempting as it is, drink water, NOT soda or sugary, caffeine filled energy drinks. Water is the most important beverage for your body.  After all, about 60% of your body is made out of water.  You need to replenish the water that leaves your body, not to mention it helps flush out toxins.  Last, you need to get plenty of sleep.  Sleep helps increase your performance, memory, and even can help improve your grades!  Click here for more info on the benefits of sleep.

Tip 3: Be yourself

One of my new favorite quotes...
Written in my handwriting for day 2 of our
August Photo Challenge.
When starting a new school year or semester (especially when starting a new school), it is difficult for many people to make new friends.  You were created to be wonderful, fantastic, amazing, you.  Don't waste your time trying to be someone else.  If people can't like you for who you are, they aren't worth your time.  If you don't like doing something (or don't feel comfortable doing something), don't do it.  Period.  Don't act like an idiot to get people to like you because it doesn't matter.  Those people aren't your real friends.  Get to know people who like you for you.  You deserve to have real friends.

I would go on, but it is Three for Thursday after all.  As you may be able to tell, I am kind of sad I am not going to school this semester.  You read that right kids... after you graduate, you will miss being in school.  Trust me.   But if you are like me and aren't heading back to school, I feel that you can use this tips to help make the most out of the rest of this year.

Okay, readers.  Now I want to know... what your tips are for going back to school?  How helpful do you find my tips?  If you try any of my tips, I would love to hear how they work for you! :)


For those of you heading back to school, good luck!  I hope that this year is an awesome year for you and that you learn a lot of cool new things!

For all of you teachers out there (like my bestie, Amy), good luck to you too!  You need it!  I hope that this year brings you lots of well behaved kiddos! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Great tips. I will share with my friends. You both are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love and support! We appreciate you reading and sharing our page! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I hope you have a wonderful second semester of school! <3

      Delete